Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Labor Day Weekend

With a whole 3 days all to ourselves, we had to do some exploring around our new home besides just laying around and relaxing. We decided to visit a different area on the coast - we had gone to Lincoln City and Newport on our trip here in February. This time we just took the 26 (the freeway closest to us) and headed west.

We first stopped at Camp 18 (at the 18 mile marker on the road) to eat some highly recommended cinnamon rolls - actually, we only ate one cinnamon roll since it was the size of a dinner plate!

The breakfast was ok. but the cinnamon roll was smeared in butter and awesome!

We also made a rare discovery - the mythical Oregonian elephant. Only those who are worthy can see it. Can you see it?

So, with some yummy food in our tummies, we headed out to the beach. Beach, you say? I thought beaches didn't exist in Oregon and it was all rocks and water. Yes, we found beaches in Cannon Beach and Seaside.

We also found Haystack rock - the third largest monolith in the world (and the backdrop to Goonies).

Here is a cool picture of a washed up jellyfish:

Here are some other neat pictures that we took:



The rest of Saturday and Sunday we just took it easy and hung out. Then on Monday we went to Uncle John & Aunt Alexis' for a Labor Day BBQ. After some yummy food and great company (thanks guys!) they took us out to the nation's largest dahlia farm - with over 350 varieties! Here are some beautiful pictures for you to enjoy.





8 comments:

Bruce and Janice said...

Very cool weekend trip! Maybe we'll have a flower garden as beautiful as that some day.

Jamie said...

Great pictures...the beach looks beautiful! And, jellyfish? Too cool!

Ash said...

First of all, I'm glad you guys are getting the chance to explore the area. That way, when we come to visit, you'll have bunches of stuff to show us! ;)

I'm jealous of you getting to eat that cinnamon roll.

I miss you guys!! We're watching Heroes and whenever I see Peter Petrelli, I think of you, Ben!

Anonymous said...

I know. We can't wait to have all of you come and visit. And yes...the roll was quite tasty. So when are you coming up. Will we see you with the Dalloways in October? Hope so.

Too bad I don't have anymore hair. I miss it...and I miss Heroes. Can''t wait till the Second season starts. I bought the first season and it only makes me want to watch the next season more.

Cheers,

Ben

Christa said...

You have no idea how jealous we are! Sorry I didn't get back to you Alli! I didn't really have any good tips for you anyway. I trust you fared quite well. I miss those shades of green.

Anonymous said...

love the pictures - especially the ones at the dahlia farm!

Anonymous said...

Thats a ginormous cinnamon roll! I hope it was tasty. (So buttery....must...finish...roll) :-) Its also cool that you saw the backdrop monolith for "The Goonies". Looks like you guys are doing well up there, I hope to visit someday.

Matthew Dick said...

Irm.
I scrolled down right now and stopped briefly to give the cinnamon roll a longing look, and scrolling down some more the jellyfish caught my attention. It made my stomach queazy, not a good combo with hungry.

And I didn't want to say it but since someone else did... Peter Petrelli and Ben Porter are at least second cousins.